Scab Resistant Varieties
It is possible to get scab on any variety. These have the highest resistance to the bacteria which causes scab.
Consistent watering & growing in low pH Soils are other strategies to reduce scab
- Alta RoseSold out for 2023 - These tubers have smooth dark red skin with cream flesh and a really good flavor. This mid-season variety has the potential for high yields with medium dormancy and is moderately scab resistant.
- Gold RushGold Rush is a great alternative to Russet Burbank which has been a staple in many gardens for years. Gold Rush is an early maturing russet variety susceptible to early and late blight while also having good resistance to common scab. Texture and taste are hard to match, very white and tasty for mashed potatoes, baked potato, stews, french fries, and perogies!
- Russet BurbankSold out 2023 - Russet Burbank has been a staple in many gardens for years. Large long-oval tubers with light russted skin, shallow eyes and fluffy white flesh. Great for steaming, baking, potato pancakes or thick-cut oven fries. Great storage life for over winter due to long dormancy period. Has a resistance to common scab and high yielding making it great for small gardens.
- NicolaSold Out 2023 Nicola potatoes are uniform tubers with an elongated, oval to oblong shape. The skin is smooth, thin, and light yellow, with a few shallow eyes. Underneath the skin, the flesh is firm, dense, and golden yellow. Nicola potatoes have a mild, nutty, and earthy flavor with a waxy consistency that develops into a smooth, fine-grained finish when cooked. These potatoes are best suited for boiling, baking, and roasting. The tubers also retain their shape when heated due to their low starch and high moisture content. An excellent source of vitamin C, B6 and potassium.
- NorlandNorland has smooth red skin, shallow eyes, and white flesh. No internal defects, few irregular tubers. Some resistance to scab and rhizoctonia (black scurf). Norland is a high-yielding variety, it adapts well to different soils. Sensitive to drought, susceptible to skinning and bruising if harvested before maturity. Stores well even though the dormancy period is short. Moderately resistant to common scab and rhizoctonia.
- Purple VikingRound, purple skin, shallow-eyed tubers. This is a very popular purple cousin to the Viking. Tubers can get quite large. We enjoy this moist flesh potato baked or boiled. Displays some resistance to scab.
- Rode EerstelingNot available for 2023 growing season - Rode Eesteling has been a great addition to our selection of heritage potatoes. Rode is an average yielding potato with pale yellow flesh and smooth red skin. Best roasted, boiled, fried, and mashed. Rode Eesteling has moderate winter storage as well as its moderately resistance to scab.